The community garden that I am co-ordinator of was having a 'Create a Sustainable Garden' session which was catered for and I thought that i'd create a cupcake for the event.
Rubarb is everywhere in our gardens at the moment and a couple of weeks ago i'd picked tonnes of the stuff, stewed it down with sweet eating apples and brown sugar. So I thought that it would be very appt to use them in a cupcake. I adjusted a Raspberry & White Chocolate recipe and ....
Vola - Rubard & White Chocolate Cupcakes dusted with Pure Icing sugar.
This one is up on my most favourite list, perfect for picnics as there is no frosting to melt or get everywhere.
Rubarb & White Chocolate Cupcakes
(adjusted from White Chocolate & Strawberry Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly)
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g white chocolate chips
1 - 1 1/2 cups stewed rubarb, cooled
Icing sugar for dusting.
- Preheat oven to 175oC.
- Place 18 paper baking cases in muffin tins.
- Combine the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk until light and creamy, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fold in rubard leaving large streaks through batter.
- Spoon batter into the cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes, check with skewer.
- Remove tins from oven and cool for 5 minutes, before turning out.
- Dust with icing sugar when cool.