Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Young vs. Old - The Daring Bakers Tender Potato Bread Cookoff

The Daring Bakers are at it again, and this time its savoury, includes yeast, really sticky dough and in my case helpers!

This month challenge of Tender Potato Bread was meet ed out to us by Tanna of My Kitchen in Half Cups, and many of us were jumping with joy and already smelling the baking bread in our ovens.

Tanna has taken the recipe for Tender Potato Bread from Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour & Tradition Around the World Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid, and from my experience of the recipe it is a winner.

If we ever make bread, or actually if I even step into the kitchen with intent, both my kids want to help. Well this time was no different, except I had left completing this challenge down to the last minute, and really didn't want to deal with the extra mess that the kids can create. But I relented and promised them that they could make their own rolls. They picked their own Rosemary crushed their own pepper and salt, brushed their own oil, mind you they didn't clean up their own mess. And not surprisingly they did a wonderful job, I am actually more impressed with their efforts and creativity, as mine was a run of the mill, by the book focaccia, whilst they created gingerbread men and star shaped rolls which they baked perfectly and scoffed for dinner with their choice of cheese and olives.

When trialling a recipe I try to stick as close as possible to the original format so that I have a sound base to make adjustments from, the only choice i made was to use 12oz of potato but if you read the recipe at My Kitchen in Half Cups, you will see that you can use 8oz - 16oz. So I wasn't disappointed when the focaccia was soft, moreish and so so good. I highly recommend this recipe to all bakers and wanna bee bakers. Be aware that the dough is really soft and sticky, but don't be tempted to add too much flour to counteract this, just go with the flow.

As for the Young DB'ers vs me the Old DB'ers, place your votes. I will cast the first one and vote Young, but they have an excellent teacher.

I can't wait to see what is in store for December but you will all have to wait until almost next year, how crule.


21 comments:

slush said...

Aww, your much more brave than me. I wouldnt let the boys near my bread! I can screw it up all on my own.

Their rolls are adorable and your focaccia looks oh so good. Great job!

linda said...

How cute that your kids helped, I'd vote for them too, I love the star rolls they made!

breadchick said...

How much fun to make it a whole family affair! Great job on this month Challenge both young and old Daring Bakerrs!!

Jen Yu said...

Your breads turned out absolutely beautifully and your children are adorable. I vote for both young and old - DBers rule :)

jen at use real butter

Karen Baking Soda said...

Love the way you and your kids tackled the recipe (and yes won't they always happily munch on what they've made themselves). Focaccia is hands down a winner this mnth

Katie said...

I like the different shapes you made. The focaccia looks amazing.

Helene said...

Bring them in...DBers rules, young and not so young! Great way to get the challenge done! your kids are simply adorale and the rolls are great too!

Julie said...

I'd call it a tie between young and old! It all looks delicious, and very fun! Good for you for cooking and baking with your kids!

Annemarie said...

I love the kiddie creativity that they brought to this. Olives and stars sound like a brilliant combination - more recipe books should cite those two together. :)

Andrea said...

Good for you for letting the kids make their own! My oldest was in the kitchen "helping" me make the focaccias the last time. Your focaccia looks great!

Cheryl said...

Your kids did great. And again I am loving the foccacia.

Gabi said...

Love your helpers and love the star rolls and the Focaccia! Creativity abounds!
Nice job!
xoxo
Gabi

marias23 said...

Gosh, I'm torn! Can I cast half a vote to the young and the other half to the "old" (I prefer "young at heart" myself)? They're so wonderful!

Christine said...

You have such darling kids! And what an great experience it is for them that you include them in baking, they really will appreciate it when they get older.

Firstly, you and your children did a wonderful job, your "run-of-the-mill" focaccia looks beautiful as does their creations (very imaginative!). I'm guessing the dough wasn't too sticky or else it would have been one tough time cutting the shapes out!

Secondly, I love the setup of your pictures and the pictures itself are great.

I can't wait to see what all of you do for December's challenge.

Christina ~ She Runs, She Eats

creampuff said...

Your kids are ADORABLE! And I think it's great that you let them help ... gorgeous bread!

Dolores said...

I'm not going to vote except to say that the young working with the experienced, learning and making memories together is what this season is all about for me. In thirty years, your kids'll be telling THEIR kids how much fun they had making potato rolls with you.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Wow, that bread looks GREAT. I love potato bread! :) -Amy@Wheeler's

Cakelaw said...

Hey there, Just wanted to say hi, and say how much I miss your posts. I have just joined the DBs too, and hope you can join in this month. Hope all is well with you.

Ronald Rants said...

I love your blog! I was just reading about "sticking to the original recipe and then make adjustments"- I always just do my thing and forget which was the best! This year I'm vowing to write things down...

cupcaketastic said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments, sorry I didn't respond promptly.

cupcaketastic said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments, sorry I didn't respond promptly.