Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy 3rd Birthday - Samantha

My little girl turned 3, last month, and she requested a fairy, princess, butterfly party, with pink castle cake and cupcakes. I think I achieved her wish.

Classic Rich Chocolate Cake, torted with pink vanilla buttercream, modeled with pink white chocolate fondant. All decorations are made from fondant or modelling paste. The castle design & fairies are from Debbie Brown's book Enchanted Cakes for Children. I really had trouble with some unexpected humidity, the fondant was very very soft, so it didn't really work out as planned, but added CMC and became very patient. But the overall effect works and the birthday girl was very happy.

I am looking forward to remaking this cake, next time I will allow myself more time. I love the modern take on the style, it is really easy to get this one wrong, but I pulled it off . . . just.

8 comments:

Steph said...

This is BEAUTIFULBEAUTIFULBEAUTIFUL!!!

I am at this very moment, working on a cake for my daughter's second birthday, tomorrow!

Very inspiring!

Unknown said...

C'est magnifique!!!! What a princess cake :-)

acaligurl said...

that is stunning. most impressive.

Erilyn said...

That is so fantastic - you are so talented with your cakes. I just love them

cupcaketastic said...

Thank you for the lovely comments, it was hard work with this one, but worth it in the end.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

That's such a beautiful cake!

Heather said...

beautiful cakes!! I am impressed.
I haven't worked with fondant enough to even think about attempting something like this.
I just found your site through the daring bakers and I know I will be putting it on my list of places to go.

More Than One Sweet Tooth said...

Beautiful! I would have loved this cake as a child (actually, even now haha!).

Is the castle made of chocolate?