Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My First Batches of French Macarons


French Chocolate Macarons. This is the first time I tried them. They taste devine, now I know what everyone is raving about, but they don't look right. I have foot but they are too high, no shine and not smooth.

These ones used Cadbury's Unsweetend Cocoa.

  • Does anyone have any ideas, I banged the tray and let them sit. I have read that chocolate Macarons are the hardest to get right!
  • And is anyone willing to give up a favourite hazelnut based recipe? or a basic one that I can tamper with. Please pretty please.


They are so easy to make, but so hard to get perfect. This is the second time I tried them. They still taste devine but they still don't look right. I have foot but they are too high, no shine and not smooth.

These ones used a Homebrand unsweetend Cocoa, which gave a very dark chocolate colour, interesting to think about what colourings they add to the cocoa.

For both recipes I used David Lebovitzs' recipe which I was pleased to find, his site is so tasty, I wish I was living in France, and mine look very similar to his macarons so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Note: I have since made them again, and they still came out very similar to above, people raved about them, queried the process, blah blah blah, but for me they still did not come up to scratch. I will keep trying!!! I promise.

2 comments:

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

they look yummy. i had never even heard of them before i saw them on flickr.com

what are they like?

cupcaketastic said...

I must have missed this comment sorry buddy.

They are soo very yummy. A light slightly chewy texture with an inital crunch, the filling is so chocolately but not over sweet, I could eat them all day.